Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hamburger Heaven

There's nothing like a properly made hamburger. There are better things to be sure, but its still amazing how such simplicity, when properly executed, can be such a treat for the taste buds. My love of a good burger is no secret. Its not hard to see why there is a Hamburgler and not a Saladburgler.

Last night, in search of a good burger, I went to Paul's on the Lower East Side. Their neon window sign proudly boasts that they have NYC's best burgers, and numerous publications and websites back this claim. I had heard rave reviews about Paul's, but I've learned to be cautious about such hype. I was not disappointed.

The burger was amazing. Melt in your mouth, savor every bite, borderline religious experience amazing. I only half-jokingly asked the waitress if they would be open for breakfast the next day. If you love a good burger, you owe yourself to give Paul's a try.

Another thing that really sticks out about Paul's is the prices. As a frugal guy, I've gradually adjusted to the sticker shock of Manhattan, and I expect to pay $10+ for a burger in a sit down place, usually for just the hamburger sans cheese, fries or anything else. Incredibly, Paul's 8 oz burgers start around just $4. Granted that's without fries, but its still a bargain. Prices increase with various options and add ons, but the most expensive burger on the menu still comes in at under $10, and it comes loaded with cheeses, onions, mushrooms, bacon and probably topped off with a chicken fried steak. Fries are cheap, as are the milkshakes and beer and pretty much everything else. One thing that amazed me what that they didn't give refills on soda, which seemed odd given the set up.

This whole experience has made me wonder: what does it take to make a great burger? Why do places like Paul's and In-n-out stand out from the rest? Is it the ingredients? I mean, if a hamburger is just ground beef, then the best beef should win. If it works for the top steakhouses in regards to finer cuts of cow, why shouldn't it work for hamburger as well? Perhaps this is the reason, but anyplace can have fresh, quality hamburger beef, unlike Prime steaks which are mostly monopolized by high end steakhouses and super pricey supermarkets.

Is it how they cook it? You'd think that would also be universal. You order medium, you get medium, you're happy. You want medium-rare, you get it, you're happy. The cook could screw it up, but you would think any good cook could figure that out rather quickly.

Perhaps its the combination of ingredients and preparation. This seems like a good answer, but I'm still not satisfied. A burger is simplicity itself: make patty, cook patty, put patty on bun. Why should one places be better than any random other burger place?

Clearly more research is needed. In the meantime, I've found a great place to go if I'm ever on the LES. Were Paul's located in my neighborhood it would no doubt become a regular, but as its two trains away I'll have to wait with great anticipation my next visit.

No comments: