Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A lot of Blue Hokie

College football fans, I beg of you: can we please stop the BCS debate circle jerk for 5 freaking seconds and just enjoy the fact that its football season?  Is it possible for us to just reflect and enjoy the spectacle that was Boise State vs. Virginia Tech for what it was, and not try to weigh it down with a lot meaningless baggage?  Its bad enough that ESPN was and is shoving the narrative down our throats constantly.  But we all know that ESPN and the whole sports media is filled with soulless, brainless hacks and hype makers.  So I implore you, ignore the sound machine and enjoy the ride.

Here's what happened last night: two good football teams beat the shit out of each other for our amusement.  It was a glorious thing to behold, and a worthy candidate for inclusion high on a list of reasons to love college football (or sports in general).  Enjoy it, because its a great thing and a great way to kick off the football season, which I shouldn't have to remind you is a marathon, not a sprint.  Maybe Boise stumbles, maybe they run the table, maybe they do or don't "deserve" a shot at the big one.  All I know is that I'm gonna focus on the games this Saturday instead of gnashing my teeth over a hypothetical game next year.

Other random thoughts from the game:

-Kellen Moore has one goofy throwing motion, but damned if he doesn't get the ball where it has to go. 

-Tyrod Taylor looks like he's growing into his potential, and its gonna be fun to watch what he can do in the ACC this year. 

-I was lukewarm about the new uniforms that Nike designed for both teams, with the exception of the Tech helmets, which were bad ass.  Reminds me of a motorcycle helmet from Sons of Anarchy.

-I realized that my observations sound a little PKish.  I apologize. 

No comments: