Thursday, November 5, 2009

Badverstising: Chase Sapphire Card

I know this is an older commercial, but I can't escape it and I hate it more every day. Let me explain: I usually watch The Daily Show and Colbert in the mornings on my computer while having breakfast. Between segments they play commercials, and it seems like this commercial has been on between every single segment for about 2 months now. Meaning I've had to endure and/or shut it off out of revulsion about 6 times every single morning.

Its not a totally awful commercial, but it is pretty bad. And pretty bad gets exponentially terrible with each showing. Let's go to the tape:



She spent a whole vacation's worth of points on that fugly dress!?!? What?!? Its not even flattering or pretty! They could be having lobster in St. Bart's but instead she gets to look like she's wearing a wrinkled sheet?

Then there's the music. I like Frank Sinatra, and I actually really like this song. But goddamn is it loud. They do the regular commercial trick of cranking the volume up 100% from the very sensible level at which you were listening. Plus, the crappyness of this commercial has actually inspired a kind of negative Pavlovian response in me for Old Blue Eyes. I hear those first few notes and I freak!

Please people, someone either get a Chase Sapphire or buy out the company and fire whoever green lit this commercial and decided to run it a gazillion times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy me that dress!!!

Anonymous said...

thank you fucking god for saying it - I mute that commercial every time I go on dailyshow.com - THEY NEED SOME GODDAMN VARIATION. that damn sinatra song again and again and again. Awful advertising.

Casey said...

I've been watching this commercial for months now and couldn't figure out what it was about until I came here. I guess I didn't get that she would actually spend money on that dress. I'm glad someone understood what was going on.

Anonymous said...

The truly annoying online commercial is Microsoft's James the cheese-making dork. I really need to record House instead of watching it online.

Personally, Molly Culver is pretty damn hot. Who cares about the expense? Its all about spending money you don't have any way.