Thursday, January 8, 2009

BCS Title game: Viva, Guac!

Sweet Pete Carroll, can we kick this game off already?!?!?

I've read all I can read about Florida, Oklahoma, the BCS, what it means to be a "National Champion", and all other topics even tangentially related to tonight's game.

I've written some about it and been too lazy to write a lot more. My feelings about the legitimacy of the so called "national title" and the need for a playoff are known, and if I ever get them organized they might make a great manifesto someday. Say what you want about Karl Marx, at least he was enough of an achiever to get his thoughts down on paper and in print.

Tonight's game, for better or worse (probably the latter) will crown a "Mythical National Champion" of NCAA Division 1-A college football. They'll deserve to be champs as much as anyone, and for all the bitching I and many other smart people do about the rottenness of the system, it shouldn't take away from the fact that these are two fine teams who have had great seasons. At this point in time, and for the foreseeable future, this (flawed) system is all we have, so lets hope this is a good game.

I've wavered a bit on who I want to win. Like most people, I think Florida has an edge going in, but its not much. There are a thousand different variables which will effect the outcome, most of all which team handled their 6 week layoff better and has less rust. I think its Oklahoma which will be hurt more by the layoff given the timing and rhythm needed for their offense to be successful, so we'll have to see how quickly they can get back in game mode. The great thing about sports and especially football is that anything can happen. A lucky bounce, a crazy fumble, a tipped interception, an untimely injury, a fluke play: any or all of these things can happen, and in a game like this its likely that the outcome will swing on at least one of these things.

I like both these teams, and hate both these fan bases, and really really hate both the fan bases of their respective conferences. Given that I dislike the fans of the SEC just slightly more than the Big-12 (for now), I'll be pulling, ever so slightly, for the Sooners. Really I just want a competitive game, as this will be the last college football for at least 6 months.

My (ignorant) head says Florida, and my (wary) heart says Oklahoma. My (hungry) stomach says its time for taquitos and guac. Viva, Guac!

No comments: