Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles

Jennifer 8 Lee, columnist for the New York Times, is writing a book about my favorite subject: food. Specifically its about "Chinese" food, most of which is about as Chinese as Prince Charles. At first it doesn't sound particularly interesting for a book topic, at least compared to the typical book in the foodie/history/sociology hybrid genre. Kung Pao Chicken doesn't exactly have the same cache as the subjects of Salt or A History of the World in 6 Glasses. However, I watched this entertaining presentation by Ms. Lee and now I'm excited to check it out when I get a chance. Like most things, "Chinese" food is as seemingly innocuous thing which actually has an interesting history which is part comedy and part tragedy. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel cheated....fortune cookies are frauds!!!