Friday, January 2, 2009

Jersey Boys

I've not big on having replica jerseys, mostly because I didn't really have a favorite team until the last 5 years. I actually had one once as a kid, a Barry Sanders #20 which I wore ragged when I still thought that wearing a jersey as an everyday shirt was cool. Thankfully I outgrew that phase while I was still young enough to get away with wearing a football jersey in May.

I do appreciate that the jersey is prime game day material, and I'm thinking of getting one for the Chargers. But which one? The choice to go with Powder blue is obvious, but the number and name are an important consideration. I'm not really interested in a throwback like Fouts, since I wasn't around for his era, and I'd sooner have a nameplate that read "Loser" than one which read "Seau" given recent developments with Jr. I won't get a custom job with my own name, since that's pathetic. The only custom jobs which interest me are a # 17 "Marmalard" and #50 "Power", but both have drawbacks. Most people won't understand either, they aren't really things I want to explain, and the identity of the offense no longer revolves around the Power 50 play.

So throwbacks and customs are out, meaning we have to select from among the readily available jerseys off the rack. The contenders, in no particular order:


#21 Tomlinson


The clear front-runner in this race. LT is the face of the Charger franchise, a Hall of Famer, and an all around stellar human being. A legitimate hero on and off the field to the People of San Diego. Even though he'll be leaving the Bolts within a few years, this is a jersey with long term appeal. He has the appeal of being the last guy out for the Chargers. What I mean by that is when player announcements are made during pre-game, LT is always last for the offense. Every team has a last guy out, the long time fan favorite who gets the loudest cheer as he enters the field. In Pittsburgh it was Hines Ward. In Indy its Peyton Manning. And in San Diego its LT.

#17 Rivers

I'm probably Philip's biggest fan and one of his biggest defenders. The guy has all the athletic ability of a 14 year old softball player, and yet has managed to win 3 division titles and put together a legitimate MVP caliber season this year. He's lead the league in Passer Rating and TD passes, the latter of which broke Dan Fouts single season Charger record which stood for 26 years. The problem is that Rivers could be gone in a few years and, unlike LT, he won't be riding off into the sunset but rather playing out his career for another team. Granted, odds are 9/10 that Rivers will be re-signed and finish his career in San Diego, but you never know. He also doesn't have quite the resume that LT has, and a regression is possible though unlikely.


# 85 Gates


Another good choice, though again free agency may rear its ugly head in a few years and snatch Antonio away from us. I love Gates, but for some reason his jersey just doesn't do it for me like the others would. I wouldn't hate it as a gift, but I doubt I'll be buying it for myself.


# 56 Merriman

This is a very interesting option. Shawn has the cache of being the "last guy out" for the defense. He's undoubtedly the soul of the D and a huge emotional leader, and his absence has been felt this whole year. Which is also part of the problem: Shawn hasn't seen the field since the Panther game, and odds are that next year is his last rodeo with the Chargers. Unlike Rivers and Gates who will likely be re-signed, I fully expect Merriman to take a huge payday when his turn at free agency comes, and those checks won't have lightning bolts on them. That reality puts a damper on a jersey choice which should otherwise rival LT's in terms of appeal for me.

# 93 Castillo

Bit of a dark horse hear. I like Luis and love that he'll be here long term. A northwestern Grad, Castillo always strikes me as the nerd of the team, the token honor student, and as the THS on most of my football teams I can relate to that and enjoy it.

#31 Cromartie

Not after the season he's had. I know he's hurt and playing through pain, but Cro has been a let down this year. Hopefully he'll recover soon (like, say, Saturday) and get back to his Pro-Bowl self. His odds of leaving as a free agent are also high, diminishing his appeal.

# 83 Jackson

Another dark horse candidate. VJ's had a great year, becoming the first Charger in 7 seasons with 1000 yards receiving. He's fun on a reverse and does a great job of downfield blocking. But then again, who is Vincent Jackson? When was the last time you heard his name called, Josh?

#76 Williams

A jersey with major appeal to me, though not to a lot of others, which is a problem since it makes it hard to find. As is typical, the big man who does the dirty work doesn't get a lot of love in the replica jersey market. Jamal has played like a beast this year. If Merriman is the Soul of the D, Jamal is the guts. The big, strong, run stuffing, double team splitting, pocket collapsing, all you can eat buffet devouring guts.

#43 Sproles

We all love Tiny Darren, but I'd feel weird wearing the jersey of a pro who I have 50 pounds on. Maybe if I keep my New Years resolution and get down to a svelte 181 like Sprolsie I'll feel more comfortable with it. Also, Sproles is a free agent with an uncertain future, so its best not to invest too heavily at this point. God willing we'll be watching him a year from now with a size medium # 43 on my front and back. Speaking of which, do you think the reason that Sproles picked such a high number for his jersey is that he's trying to pump himself up and feel bigger?


# 5 Scifres

Good luck finding a jersey for the league's best punter (I couldn't even find a picture of one). But assuming I could, I might seriously consider it. Punters need acknowledgement too, and none deserves it more than ours.


# 95 Phillips

An outside chance here. Shaun has slipped a bit this year but he's always flying around and making plays.



Any of the O-line: #73 Marcus McNeil would probably be my choice. But this group has gone soft in the last year, and unless they regain that smash mouth attitude and fast we'll be sunk. The team record 289 rushing yards against Denver is a start. Its also pretty hard to find their jerseys. If I was going in this direction I think the "Power 50" would have been the best way to go, but as it is they are unlikely to make the cut for any number of reasons.

As you can see, this is a big decision. I'm also a little wary of jinxing the team by buying my first jersey just 24 hours prior to the playoff opener. Hopefully I can narrow things down and make a good choice in time for kickoff.

No comments: