Tuesday, September 2, 2008

NFL Picks- Week 1

That I have a fondness for Football is a little secret of mine. You know, its something I occasionally enjoy if I have the time and nothing else is going on.

Seeing as how this is my stupid blog where I get to post my stupid thoughts, I figured what better place to put my football savvy on the line for all to ridicule. As such, I'm gonna start making NFL picks.

Much as I love football and gambling, I've always been hesitant to combine the two. The biggest reason is that I'm broke and don't have the disposable income to risk on a weekly betting sheet. Football is just too damn unpredictable, which is great for the football lover in me but doesn't suit my gambling taste.

That said, I do check the lines each week to see what the wisdom of crowds has to say about various matchups. Drunken, homeristic, moronic crowds. Since I'm too poor and gutless to actually bet, I'm taking advantage of the Internet to put my picks out there, risking embarrassment instead of my stipend check.

All lines come from Bodog. Home team in caps, pick in bold. Here we go:



GIANTS -4 Redskins

The Giants have problems simmering, but this is the big homecoming game after their Super Bowl victory.

Bengals -1.5 RAVENS

Two words: Ocho Cinco. Two more words: Torn Labrum. A final two words: Ray Lewis.


Jets

-3 DOLPHINS

Pennington's revenge? I'm not seeing it.


STEELERS -6.5 Texans

The Texans will be better than advertised. The Steelers will have a rough time this year. But this one will be all Pittsburgh.


Jags -3 TITANS

Vince Young has looked horrible in Preseason, even by his not very high standards. This will be a close, hard fought AFC south battle, but the Jags will win in the end.


Lions -3 FALCONS

Hell, I have no idea. So lets go with the Falcons as home because I love Michael Turner.


BILLS -1 Seahawks

Tough Call here, basically a pick em. When in doubt pick the home team.


SAINTS -3 Bucs

Another close call which goes to the Home team. The Saints Defense will be much improved, though they may be foiled if Gruden pulls out his secret formation consisting of 11 QBS on the field at once.


EAGLES -7.5 Rams

My suicide pick of the week. Horrible Rams+Healthy Eagles at Home = Lock (not a guarantee)


Cowboys -5.5 BROWNS

I predict the Boys will look great in this game, and by Tuesday they will be anointed as the new Super Bowl favorites. By November, their collapse will be complete. Should be fun.


CHARGERS -9 Panthers

Homer pick of the week. My gut tells me to take Carolina and the Points. My Brain tells me that too. And were I betting, my wallet would chime in as well. This feels like a setup to me. Carolina is stronger than people think, and while the Chargers are good they have injury issues which are not totally sorted out, including Gates, Jamal Williams, Merriman, Hardwick and McNeil. Thats 5 pro bowlers who are questionable or worse. That said, I don't pick against my team.


Cardinals -2.5 49ERS

The JT O'Sullivan era begins! Pints all around ya wankers!


COLTS -9.5 Bears

I love the Neckbeard, but no way.

And for the Monday night doubleheader:

PACKERS -2.5 Vikings

Williams, Williams and Allen vs Aaron Rodgers. The Resurrection of Purple Jesus. Kornheiser yapping about Brett Favre for 5 hours.


Broncos
-3 RAIDERS

Meh. I think a smart Raider team could take this game by running the ball 80% of the time, but the Raiders are anything but smart. Look for Russell to throw at least 2 picks and Cutler to have a strong game.

Finally, no one is taking action on the Patriots versus Chiefs, for the very good reason that no one knows what the hell is the status of Tom Brady's ankle.

No comments: