Friday, September 19, 2008

With an oink oink here

Bacon is the perfect food. I'm talking about real bacon, from the belly of a pig, not that fruity "turkey bacon" crap. Bacon is great because it goes with, in, or on almost anything, or you can just eat it. Want to spice up a sandwich? Bacon. Unhealthy that too-healthy salad? Bacon. Looking to impress hillbillies at a state fair? Country fried bacon! Yeehaw!

But recently I was disturbed by some bacon I purchased and ate. It wasn't the bacon's fault (I could never be mad at you my love), it was the supermarket. I bought some thick cut bacon from FreshDirect. It was described as "rind on". Not really knowing what it meant and seeing a great price I jumped at the opportunity for some wholesome heart loving food.

It was only after cooking and eating some that I realized this "rind" business is stupid. The rind is basically inedible and just gets in the way. What the hell was the point of that, FreshDirect? I would understand more if the bacon was uncut in a slab, but it was already sliced!

So listen up FreshDirect and other grocers: fix up that bacon right. Cut off that awful rind and stop selling it to your customers. Take pride in your bacon.

No comments: